Here's a video of me playing the Funk Skanking Technique :D :D
For a while, I was pretty obsessed about everything funk. I have always loved how the rhythms go.
This technique in a nutshell:
- Right hand strums as if playing rhythm
- Left hand plays single lead notes and lines (See the twist ? Not chords.
Although the intro of my video the technique was played on chords which is definitely so so so much easier as compared to playing on single notes)
- Muting technique of left hand is important to stop all 5 other strings from ringing, thus producing percussive sound
Here are the steps to go about practicing it
1. Muting/ resting your left hand, strum only your right hand in both up & down motions in all 16th note values - 1e&a 2e&a 3e&a 4e&a until you can play it equally in value
and in tempo to your metronome or backing track
2. Then start by un-muting every note with your left hand every downbeat of the bar, in other words, play every 1, 2, 3, 4 but immediately muting it again for the e&a
3. Move on to ringing only the "e", only the "&" and only the "a" of every beat. The "e" and "a" will be harder compared to the downbeats and "&". The "a" will be the hardest.
4. Start combining a few patterns in any random manner as long as it sounds good, ringing some and muting some.
5. When you get used to it, start increasing your tempo
I actually learnt this technique from YouTube, from a Musician Institute teacher by the name of Ross Bolton.
His video lessons that I dedicated my entire holidays to learning:
"Guitar Lesson Ross Bolton Funk Rythm Guitar Part 1"
"[Guitar Lesson] Ross Bolton - Funk Rythm Guitar (Part 2)"
Important notes for this technique:
-Muting technique is really really essential
-Clean playing is really important as well to produce a clear, crisp, clean sound with every strum
Effects I used in my video:
-WahWah which when combined with a mini amp seriously became really trebly and sharp sounding though I rolled off my tone knob
-Phaser which has considerably warmer sound compared to my WahWah
Keep practicing, have fun playing & take care !
Sapphire Ng <3 <3 <3